Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Online Safety

The truth is your information is out there and if someone is internet savvy, they can find it. I've been on the internet since the days of BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) and even I'm shocked that I've let information slip.



For example, Google your home phone number. If you have a land line, you are probably going to find your address, a Google map to your house, and even a nice photo. The good news is that you can contact Google to have it removed. They removed my information within 24 hours.



The bad news is nothing ever really disappears from the internet. In fact, there is a movement toward internet archiving. Check out http://www.archive.org/index.php. Ever had a website that you loved, but it went belly up? If you still have the URL, you might be able to find it here.



I know this sounds dirty but I think it's a good idea to google yourself everyone once in a while.

No comments: