Thursday, October 25, 2007

Week 7, #17 Technology

I have a long history when it comes to technology. I got my first computer back in 1985. It was an Atari 82bit with an external floppy drive (the 5" floppies, not the wimpy 3.5 ones). My parents wouldn't spring for a modem but I had a friend with a rocking 300baud modem so we could cruise Bulletin Board Systems (BBS). When I wanted to save a document, I could literally walk away, have lunch, and when I returned, it might be finished saving.

At the time, the idea of having a computer in your pocket that could connect you to the whole world was just something out of science fiction. The idea of an iPhone or a Blackberry was unheard of let alone "social networking" or computers in libraries.

Now, I have friends all over the world thanks to LiveJournal, I write a webzine with a group of ladies from Philadelphia that I've never actually met in person, I order books from Amazon and everything you can imagine from eBay, I renew my library books online, I found our house on har.com, and I even dated someone I met on Match.com. Technology is no longer an amusing toy, it's a part of my daily life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.